Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Tooth Loss Revisited

While we like to be ahead of the game in many things here at the George household, we are ever behind the eight ball in tooth loss. None of my children got their first tooth as babies until they were over a year old. This has translated into late tooth loss. Unfortunately for them, this is hereditary. I also lost my teeth very late. I remember watching every kid in my first grade class get to put up sticker after sticker on the tooth-loss chart, while the column after my name stayed pristine and unsullied. I hated that teacher. I never got anything. By the time I started losing my teeth, nobody was doing charts anymore. Therapy is helping me to deal with this loss.

The delay in tooth loss means that we are still getting visits from the tooth fairy at the George household. Sabrina just lost her last baby tooth last month, and she is well on her way to 14. I cannot tell you how tired I am of reminding that fairy to exchange teeth for money; so tired that often it is forgotten until weeks later when one of my children hands me a letter asking me to deliver it to the tooth fairy, and if I happen to see him, would it be at all possible to let him know that he is obviously showing his age since no money has been delivered on time for quite a while now. There is a general air of weariness around everyone involved in these transactions, a little bit of cynicism, and a wish for it to all be over. Here is the latest note from Rose.


Dear tooth fairy, Here's my stupid, gross tooth that made my mouth look awful. I hope you're happy. Rose :(


No comments:

Post a Comment