Monday, June 18, 2012

What did they say?

We took the kids up to Ashland to see a couple of plays last week. One was Animal Crackers, a completely zany and fun Marx Brothers show. And since we were at the Shakespeare Festival, we thought perhaps we should take the kids to see Romeo and Juliet also. David was preparing the kids before the show started letting them know the play was going to be close to three hours including intermission. Calvin says, "Why does it have to be three hours?" This made the older gentlemen sitting next to me giggle. He said, "I've often wondered the same thing myself."

Later, about 20 to 30 minutes into watching Romeo and Juliet, David leaned over to Calvin.

D: Calvin, do you know what's going on?

C: (disdainfully) Of course. I understand old English, Dad.

D: Great. Can you tell me?


2 comments:

  1. Those are the two plays we saw on Nate's class field trip this year! I loved them both, and did not expect to like Animal Crackers, but I really, really did. Like, Sedaris-level laughing. And I thought the Romeo actor did the best Romeo I had ever seen. Glad you had a fun trip! And how lucky that you had Calvin along to help you! Cheers, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I also did not expect to enjoy Animal Crackers and was more than pleasantly surprised. We are still quoting lines from it!

      Delete