Sunday, June 6, 2010

What Did You Say?

Unfortunately for my children, it looks like they have inherited the gene from my side of the family that makes it impossible to sit through a movie or TV show without talking incessantly. (I'm sure invitations to movies with friends are winging their way towards me even now!)

Ironically, the children talking nonstop irritates me to no end. This is because they don't seem to understand that I am the only one allowed to talk during shows. How dare they interrupt when I was about to do so! So I often absent myself to another room when the TV goes on.

Right now I'm sitting up here trying to work, and the volume of the TV is slowly getting louder and louder. I'm pretty sure it's not because we're getting close to an action scene, but because David is trying to ignore the fact that Sabrina won't shut up. Then the sound stops abruptly, and I hear this:

D: Are you going to be quiet anytime soon?

S: I only have one three-second thing to say.

D: But you've been talking nonstop for 10 minutes now!

S: That's because you won't listen!

D: We're watching a movie! (As if that explains anything to this gene-damaged kid.)

S: But it's only three seconds!

D: I don't want to hear it, though.

S: Argh!

D: I agree.

S: I'm serious!

D: So am I!

S: ARRGH!

D: Exactly.

Then the movie starts up again, and . . . yup, there she goes again.

1 comment: