Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What Happened to Jennifer?

You never know what life's going to throw at you. I was happy, relatively speaking. Granted, my job was mind-numbingly boring. And yes, I was wasting money on shoes no one would ever see since there is really no need to wear sparkly blue heels when you wear your pajamas to work. But I was content . . . sort of. I certainly wasn't out searching for a big change. Change is scary. Change makes my stomach hurt.

But one day this summer, I received a phone call. Would I consider teaching music part-time to upper elementary students? I almost hung up on them, just like my brother (a virulent sports-hater) actually did when Major League Baseball called trying to recruit him to manage their websites. I stayed on the line, probably more out of shock than politeness, and sure enough, they were offering me a job.

What should I do? Up until this exact moment in my life, I had never considered teaching, EVER. Anyone who knows me knows I have steadfastly maintained that I hate children. Good grief, I can barely stand my own. Why would I willingly walk into multiple classrooms filled with dozens of children, none of whom were mine? I repeated this over and over to my husband, but he expressed the opinion that I obviously don't hate children that much considering the number of hours I've spent volunteering in the classroom at my kids' school. I countered that it was my duty, and I have always been a slave to duty. (Said while looking martyr-like and staring off into the distance, Pirates of Penzance music playing in my head.)

But there it was, a legitimate offer of a new job, one that wouldn't bore me to tears, one that would let me interact with the human race, and one in which I might be able to wear those blue sparkly heels. So after some consideration, I decided to jump. When that kind of opportunity lands in your lap, you would have to be a fool to turn it down, even if it does require an anxiety pill or two to cope with all the scary change.

So now I'm a teacher. God sure does have a funny sense of humor. And despite David's protestations to the contrary that he thinks I'm well-suited for this job, I found him chuckling and shaking his head the other evening. When I asked him what he was laughing at, he said, "I was just thinking if someone had told me five years ago that in the future my wife would be a teacher, I would have asked, 'What happened to Jennifer?' followed by, 'Is my new wife hot?'"

1 comment:

  1. Your mother is one of the many who is surprised to see you in your new position. You know it pleases me to no end to see you follow in my footsteps. After seeing you a few weeks ago, I am sure you have made the right choice. You are a wonderful teacher with a wealth of ideas and approaches. God does have a sense of humor and He will also bless you as you move out of your comfort zone. I am extremely proud of you and love you dearly. Mom

    ReplyDelete